Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day


Dear Friends and Family,
Staniel cay was a lot of fun. We met up with the S/V Independence and S/V Sandpiper from previous locations. We hiked, swam, enjoyed happy hour at the yacht club and another evening enjoyed drinks/snacks on Sandpipers vessel. Both couples were wonderful, but after a couple of days we all parted ways heading in different directions.  Stainel cay is home of the Thunderball Cave. The cave was featured in the James Bond movie “Thunderball”. It’s best to go into the cave during low slack tide, which is what we did. We were able to snorkel just between the water line and a massive rock (Islet). The Islet is mostly hollow on the inside. It is home of hundreds of fish who swam right alongside us hoping we would throw them a snack. We gave them stale cheerios and they loved it. I took underwater video footage the first day and Jimi took some the second day. It was fantastic. The current picked up while we were there making it difficult to get into the cave, but with Jimi’s help I made it.  (and the next day when I woke up, I could barely move; my arms were so sore.)



Here is a link to the video Jimi created of the cave:  http://youtu.be/86bBFMNUZMQ



We are now nine miles south of Staniel Cay at Black Point. We heard that Black Point had free water, free unlimited internet, free trash disposal, and a Laundromat. This information made me giddy like a little school girl and with such an accommodating husband, here we sit. Our laundry is clean, our water tanks are full, our trash is empty,  I’ve gotten my internet fill for now, and we’ve restocked some groceries. Things are good.
Jimi and I were very surprised to find that we have been using less than ten gallons of fresh water per week. I was a little worried about being low on fresh water after going nearly a month without refilling. Yet when we filled our tanks, they gobbled up less than thirty gallons. We hold a total of 140 gallons of fresh water, so with our current usage, we could go over three months without refilling; a comforting feeling.
I spent an entire day on shore doing laundry and using the internet, while Jimi spent the day on Sanibel working to fix our blog. We’ve been hacked so many times that we have decided to leave the Wordpress blog and go with blogger by Google. We think Google will have better security.  It appears our blog is back up and running for now. Those who have emailed us in the past to let us know it was down, we appreciate it and please let us know if you see more problems. The web address hasn’t changed. It is still www.svsannibel.com.
We are planning to make the sixteen mile jump down to Cave Cay tomorrow (Monday the 13th). I don’t think there are any amenities at Cave Cay, so the next time you will hear from us will probably be when we arrive in Georgetown.
Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms out there. I miss my family every day, but days like today are especially difficult. Jimi made me feel better when he wished me a Happy Bahama Mama Day!
Until we write again……
Love everybody,
Lorie & Jimi

No comments:

Post a Comment