Thursday, April 19, 2012

She's beautiful

Dear Friends and Family,

We are please to report some progress. After months and months of sanding and grinding,  Sanibel is taking shape. Jimi and I painted the primer coat on the top side of the hull and she looks fantastic. Jimi has since sanded the primer to a smooth finish and she is ready for the final coat of paint (hopefully to be done soon).






The weather has not cooperated; Jimi and Ray have not been able to spray anymore gel coat on the deck, but several sections are ready.

Next steps are: the non-skid needs to be painted on the deck when the gel coat application is finished and the bottom side of the hull and the keel need to be sanded, primed and painted. All the hardware needs to be reattached to the deck as well. Regardless of what's left, what's complete is encouraging.

.

I bought myself a Nook colour and I LOVE it so far. I can use it to read books, watch movies, play games and when I have Internet, check email. I have already read one Nora Roberts book "Angel's Fall', gotten hooked on angry birds, and mastered Sudoku. I really want to begin another book on my Nook, but I'm trying to finish up my TEFL class.

.

One day last week Jimi brought home a surprise; a large turtle he found walking down the middle of the frontage road. It's shell measured a little over 13 inches long. Jimi took her down by the river to release her, but she headed straight back up for land. The next day we saw her crossing the road in our neighborhood.




The cardinals are taking over our yard. Practically everywhere we look we can see a male and/or a female buzzing around. I've tried to get pictures but they are very fast and rarely stay in one place for more than a few seconds. Anyhow, we love having them around. Their unique chirps are without a doubt recognizable and pleasant for background noise. We've come accustomed to keeping the air conditioner off and the sliding glass door open. We enjoy the fresh air and sounds of nature throughout the house.

.

A pretty little dove has made a nest in the tree right outside our lanai door. I watched for a few days as she gathered twigs and things from the yard, flew them to the nest and then came back again for more. I knew she was building a nest somewhere, but I didn't realize it was so close. Jimi spotted her and showed me. We're certain she's now sitting on eggs, as she always stay put. Jimi was able to get a great picture of her. We try to steer clear of the area, so we don't frighten her away.




We are expecting rain the next several days, which will slow progress on Sanibel down a little. We would really like to get the gel coat applied and top side hull painted, so Jimi can reattach the lifelines and other deck hardware and can move on to the interior of the boat for the upcoming rainy season.

That's the latest. More to come as we keep you posted.

.

Love to all,

Lorie & Jimi

No comments:

Post a Comment