Saturday, October 26, 2013

Grumpy is as grumpy does


I haven’t written as I had planned to since we’ve been in the United States. I kept telling myself I needed to write something and still I found little, or rather, no time to do so.

Molly and I flew from Key West to Grand Island, Nebraska on October 1st. We began our twenty hour trip at 5:30am with a dinghy ride to shore, followed by a 2 ½ hour bus ride to the airport, a total of three airplanes with numerous hours between each one, trains (rather trams) and finally a 2 ½ hour car ride to Stamford. All in all the trip was uneventful. I feared Molly would meow the entire day annoying everyone around us, when in fact I barely heard a peep out of her. She did so well and we got a lot of positive attention from other travelers. Here at my parent’s house, she has isolated herself to our bedroom. First – she doesn’t like the other cats in the house and second – she is quit mad that we have removed her from her beloved Sanibel. I think she liked the boating life more than anyone else. It was her home, her place of comfort and now we have stripped that from her, so she’s mad. Once in a while she forgets that she’s mad and lays next to me purring, but it doesn’t last long. She’s turned in to a grumpy old lady, however, I suppose if I were a seventeen year old cat, I would too.

I’ve been in Nebraska for four weeks now and am so busy I still haven’t seen all my family. I spend five days a week at my parents and two days a week in Kansas at Jennifer’s house. I’ve gotten involved with church, driving here and there for various errands and rummaging through second hand stores (that’s fun). We’ve celebrated dad’s 74th birthday and my parents 49th wedding anniversary; soon we’ll celebrate my sister’s birthday too. Jimi’s birthday was October 15th, mine and Jimi’s wedding anniversary is November 2nd and Daniel’s birthday is November 10th – all celebrated or to be celebrated remotely.

Jimi sailed to Fort Myers and met up with our friend, Ray. They made trips to Sam’s club and the grocery stores to re-provision. On October 15th another friend, Matt flew in. Jimi and Matt sailed to Key West for the Fantasy Fest festival; they are there now having a great time. Ray has since joined up with them - three guys on a boat in Key West…hmmm.

I’m not sure what Jimi’s plans are when Matt and Ray leave this coming week. He’s talked of either staying in Key West until I arrive or sailing back to Marathon. I fly back on November 19th. Either way we will be happy to be together again.

Hugs to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment